Ninth fort monument in Kaunas
It is the biggest and the most significant memorial to the 30,000 Jews and others from Lithuania and abroad who were brutally murdered here during the Holocaust. It stands 32m high and at least three times as wide. The work of the sculptor A. Ambraziūnas, the monument was unveiled in 1984 on the site of the mass grave where the victims of the Nazis and their Lithuanian henchmen met their tragic fates.
St. Nicholas Church
This is the oldest surviving Catholic church in Lithuania, dating from the 14th century, First mentioned in 1387, it has retained its simple appearance, characteristic of the Early Lithuanian Gothic style. The interior decoration dates from the later periods: the 16th century ribbed vaults with colourful decoration are Gothic , while the altars and organ loft installed in the 18th century are Baroque. From 1901 to 1939 this was the only church in Vilnius where services werre held in Lithuanian. A sculpture of Vilnius patron saint, St Christopher, was erected in the churchyard in 1959 (sculptor A. Kmieliauskas).
Scenic Panemunė road which traces Nemunas river valley at its northern bank and connects Kaunas to Šilutė. Beyond Šilutė the road continues to Klaipėda therefore making the Panemunė road a slower yet more interesting alternative.
Straw Sculpures – An Impressive Open Air Gallery
A field gallery of huge straw sculptures in Naujamiestis – small town located 12km outside the Panevezys city. Al these sculptures were built in two weeks by the local art people. Visitors from everywhere are welcome here until the end of october when all this art will be burned. This year a straw sculptures symbolizes the market, here you can buy a fish, a bicycle, a car, a cock, even an onion!
Rumsiskes – Beutiful Open Air Museum
The museum of Rumšiškės is one of the biggest open air museum 194(ha) in europe, opened in 1974. It represents structures from different Lithuanian regions Žemaitija, Aukštaitija, Suvalkija, Dzūkija and the Minor Lithuania. It boasts of having a collection of over 140 buildings from the 18-19th centuries that are all constructed with both – original ancient interior, exterior and even the surroundings. Beehives, wells, gardens of flowers, artifacts, fences, furniture – all this stuff creates a realistic atmosphere of the life and traditions of peasants and villagers lived in bygone centuries.